Afterwards why not leave the TV off and play a table game? It is allowed, you know. I think you'll find that your evening seems much longer and it may even lead to some spirited competition or conversation. Our after dinner game as empty nesters has become cribbage, an excellent game for two. In addition to the cool wooden pegboard, it requires a deck of cards. Dominoes is typical Sunday afternoon fare at our house, but it would also be fun in the evening. Both games provide enjoyable light mental calisthenics, perfect for a winter evening.
I am trying not to apologize for using canned cream of chicken soup in this recipe. Though I don't use it often, it works very well in this quick soup. This is a very adaptable recipe. I'll offer some suggestions at the end of this post, but if you find yourself rummaging through your refrigerator or pantry thinking Hmm, would this work?-- it very possibly could.
Chunky Chowder with Chicken, Cauliflower and Broccoli
(For a printable copy of this recipe, click here.)
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil or Butter (not pictured)
1/2 Medium Onion
2 Stalks Celery
1 14-oz. can Chicken Broth
1 12-oz. bag frozen Broccoli and Cauliflower
2 cups Milk
2 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
8 ounces Processed Cheese, white or yellow
Saute celery and onion in vegetable oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until tender.
Stir in cream of chicken soup, chicken and milk and heat through, stirring occasionally.
What's in your refrigerator or pantry? (Some ideas for adaptions)
|These stoneware soup mugs were a wedding gift. Guess which decade?|
- No celery? Leave it out, it will be fine.
- Substitute an equal size bag of only broccoli or mixed vegetables for the broccoli and cauliflower
- Substitute homemade chicken or turkey stock for the canned
- Substitute canned chicken for the deli chicken
- A potato might be a nice addition. You could add a chopped raw potato to the stock (I'd give it a ten minute head start before adding the frozen vegetables). I often bake potatoes in my microwave for soup. My microwave has a setting for baked potatoes which makes it very easy.
- Substitute cream of mushroom (or celery or any other cream of) soup for the cream of chicken soup